Citizens of an EU Member State or of a country within the Agreement of the European Economic Area, have the right to live in Spain for more than three months, provided they meet one of the following requirements:
Requirements for European citizens
Steps to be taken at the aliens office
When operating in Spain for economic, professional or social purposes, a personal identification number called NIE (Aliens Identification Number) will be provided.
In order to apply for the NIE, it is required to:
• Rent a house and show the renting contract.
• Obtain the census certificate from the home Town Council.
• Open a bank account with funds enough to meet Spanish requirements.
• Obtain a private insurance with similar coverage to the Spanish National Health Service.
• Go to the National Police Station or the Aliens Office.
Requirements for non-european citizens
Non-European citizens willing to live and/or be self-employed in Spain will need a startup visa or a resident permit to carry out a business activity. The Spanish embassy or consulate in the country of origin or residence will analyze the business plan by a case by case approach.
There are two main options, among others:
• Residency Visa for Entrepreneurs and Business Activity (REM): for the rest of the cases.
• Residence Visa for Acquisition of Real Estate (RIV): this figure apply when a real estate (house, villa, flat), for at least 500.000 € is bought.
After obtaining a visa, the next step it to apply for an aliens’ identity card (NIE) within a month-time.